Language Awareness Flash mob


Language awareness flash mob - spontaneous gathering of foreign language speakers starting conversation in their own language with people passing by - took place in Trinity Center last Saturday, causing short and amusing disruptions to the shopping day.
It was a great opportunity to make people aware of language barriers and intercultural challenges and at the same time show how many people in Leeds speak foreign languages and contribute to making Leeds a truly international city.
There was surprise in the people in the shopping center and reaction were most diverse. It was also the first time for the flash-mobbers, and here are some of their experiences: 

“I chose to speak in Basque. And I asked a couple where Primark was, and they decided to walk me to Primark so it was very interesting. They were extremely nice, I didn’t use a word of English, and they walked me all the way to Primark.”

“One guy even made a real effort to speak French “aaah…a gauche…aaah…a droite …then cross the road” It was really funny.”

“I think it’s interesting, cause you’re in complete loss when you don’t speak the language.”

“It was quite funny because then they started walking away because they thought that I was messing with them, but then I tried to insist, so I followed them saying “no, excuse me I really don’t understand” so they tried to make an effort to explain it.”

“The main impression was that I felt like a tourist.”
It has been a great experience that help to understand how people react to a language they don’t understand. The flash-mob was also an important event to let people know that there are many people speaking foreign languages in Leeds already.
Flash mobs have been performed all over the world and are a way of creating awareness on something that requires attention. The idea of gathering people, all of whom appear in public spaces, engage in a pre-arranged, organized activity and disappear suddenly. 

This was the first event on this matter, in a small scale and they will be definitely more! 

No comments:

Post a Comment